Subject: Re: bug#41250: 28.0.50; Dired displays unconditionally ls-switches on modeline

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 13:15:50 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 10:40:34 +0200
> 
> > That sounds better.  Bonus points for arranging a tooltip that would
> > show the full string when the mouse is over that part of the mode
> > line.
> 
> Currently, if I disable ls-switches, it displays just "(Dired)" on
> modeline, as I coded in my patch. When mouse is over it displays
> help-tooltip, ("Major mode", "Mouse1 - ..." etc). Is it maybe better to
> put ls-switches as a submenu to pop-up menu that appears when one click
> with mouse button1? Or how do you imagine the tooltip - to replace one
> with help or soemthing else?

Figuring this out is part of the job, I guess.  One possibility would
be to show the tooltip only when the imaginary defcustom is non-nil,
i.e. when the user expressed his/her desire to see the switches, but
there's no space to show them in their entirety.  Maybe there are
other possibilities, I didn't think long enough about this to tell.

As for the mode tooltip, I think you could work around the problem by
making the switches tooltip pop up only on the partial text of the
switches, not on the mode string itself.