Subject: bug#41250: 28.0.50; Dired displays unconditionally ls-switches on modeline

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 19:36:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > How about making char-displayable-p accept an optional argument, a
>> > frame for which to perform the test?
>> 
>> I thought char-displayable-p worked based on the current frame?
>
> The selected-frame, yes.  I though that wasn't good enough in this
> case, but maybe I was confused?  If the latter, what exactly is the
> problem that caused you to say "The variable doesn't work as is
> (because of the problem of mixed frames)"?

There's a variable -- 'truncate-string-ellipsis' -- set globally, and
it was suggested that the default of that variable should depend on
char-displayable-p.  I pointed out that that isn't very useful, in
general, in a mixed frame situation.

The char-displayable-p function is fine as is, though.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no