Subject: bug#41250: 28.0.50; Dired displays unconditionally ls-switches on modeline

From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 10:40:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 01:33:51 +0300
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> > I suggest, as small improvement, to introduce a user option to turn off
>> > or on displaying of ls-switches on modeline. As a suggestion I have
>> > attached small hack to dired.el as tested on my copy of Emacs, but you
>> > might wish to rewrite it. Drew had some other suggestions.
>> 
>> Maybe instead of boolean better to use a number for the allowed limit
>> that should not grow more than this number that means the length of
>> switches string that the user can tolerate on the modeline.
>> 
>> Then modeline will display abbreviation truncated to the specified
>> number of characters, with an ellipses, on the assumption that
>> the most important switches are at the beginning of the string.
>
> That sounds better.  Bonus points for arranging a tooltip that would
> show the full string when the mouse is over that part of the mode
> line.

Currently, if I disable ls-switches, it displays just "(Dired)" on
modeline, as I coded in my patch. When mouse is over it displays
help-tooltip, ("Major mode", "Mouse1 - ..." etc). Is it maybe better to
put ls-switches as a submenu to pop-up menu that appears when one click
with mouse button1? Or how do you imagine the tooltip - to replace one
with help or soemthing else?

I don't know how to add a submenu to that pop-up or a tooltip, but I can
look it up.