Subject: bug#41250: 28.0.50; Dired displays unconditionally ls-switches on modeline

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 21:59:13 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> But anyway I think that it would be better to keep
> 'truncate-string-to-width', and to turn 'truncate-string-ellipsis'
> into a user option (defvar -> defcustom) with the default value
> computed as (if (char-displayable-p ?…) "…" "...")
>
> If this doesn't work on dynamically created mixed X/tty frames, then
> maybe allow some value (e.g. 'auto-detect') for
> 'truncate-string-ellipsis', so 'truncate-string-to-width' would call
> (if (char-displayable-p ?…) "…" "...")  every time when
> 'truncate-string-to-width' is used and recompute the value of
> ellipsis.

The variable doesn't work as is (because of the problem of mixed
frames), and `auto-detect' doesn't have much meaning, which is why this
should never have been a variable in the first place.

Instead of trying to fix that mess, I thought it would be easier to
introduce a new function that does the right thing automatically, and
without a gazillion optional parameters, and then make the old function
obsolete.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no