Subject: bug#41250: 28.0.50; Dired displays unconditionally ls-switches on modeline

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 13:56:03 -0700 (PDT)

> And I'm not sure about this:
> 
> +                                   (concat " " xs (and (< l2  l1)
> "…")))))
> 
> Perhaps that should be conditional upon the terminal being able to
> display that character?

Interesting.  Dunno why I used that char (which I guess is HORIZONTAL
ELLIPSIS).  In my own code I in fact use "..." (3 period chars).

Maybe I tossed in an ellipsis char because others in the thread were
worried about losing mode-line space.

(FWIW, I had that ellipsis char in Emacs doc etc.  At least in the
fonts I use (fixed width) it's so tiny as to be illegible.  An
ellipsis in ordinary printed text is quite a bit wider than other
chars (which are anyway of unequal width).  That Unicode provides a
single char for ellipsis is not a reason that we have to, or should,
use it.  I think it works against readability - everywhere I've seen
it in Emacs.)