Subject: Re: bug#41198: 27.0.60; [PATCH] heading cycling command for outline

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:36:01 -0700

Yuan Fu <[email-masked]> writes:

>> In Bug#41130, I also suggest to add the same keybinding as in org-mode:
>> TAB and S-TAB.  Could you add such keybindings to outline-mode-map in
>> your patch?
>
> It seems that the outline-mode bindings all live under C-c. Maybe C-c
> TAB and C-c S-TAB? Should I ask on emacs-devel for for suggestions?

I think it is better to use the same keys as org-mode, since one
important motivation for this feature is precisely to align the
outline-mode keybindings with org-mode.  This aspect would be
significantly diminished by using other keys, IMHO.

My impression was that also there was consensus around (or at least no
objections to) that idea the last time we discussed it.  I would
therefore propose to just add TAB and S-TAB to the patch, but allow a
week or two before pushing to give others a chance to comment here.

But, if you really want to, of course you could also ask on emacs-devel.
Worst case, we get to have another round of bikeshedding. ;-)

>> I think we also need ChangeLog in the commit message, an entry in NEWS,
>> and updates to the manual.
>
> I updated NEWS and the manual. For ChangeLog, I thought that’s
> automatically generated from commit messages?

That is my understanding too.

But I only saw a diff attached, not a patch with a commit message.  That
is what I tried to say, but I could've been more clear.

(CONTRIBUTE suggests using `git format-patch -1' to email a patch, which
includes the commit message.)

> +@findex outline-cycle
> +@findex outline-cycle-buffer
> +  Outline also provides two convenience commands to cycle the
> +visibility of each heading and the whole buffer.  @code{outline-cycle}
> +cycles the current heading between "hide all", "subheadings", and
> +"show all" state.  @code{outline-cycle-buffer} cycles the whole buffer
> +between "only top-level headings", "all headings and subheadings", and
> +"show all" states.
[...]
> +*** New commands to cycle heading visibility.
> +'outline-cycle' cycles the current heading between "hide all",
> +"subheadings", and "show all" state. 'outline-cycle-buffer' cycles the
> +whole buffer between "only top-level headings", "all headings and
> +subheadings", and "show all" states.

Looks good to me (but should refer to the above keybindings if they're
added).

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas