Subject: [bug#41188] [PATCH] Do not propagate "emacs-org" in Emacs packages

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 18:59:48 +0200

Hello,

Jelle Licht <[email-masked]> writes:

> You asked for it ;-).

Heh.

> On a more serious note, I have had _many_ issues with byte-compilation
> of org-related anything over the years.

I have not encountered such problems. I don't use much Org-related
anything, either. Would you have any example in mind?

> Wouldn't this mean that the list of packages that is touched by this
> patch will be byte-compiled using the outdated org-mode that comes
> with Emacs?

It means exactly that.

> Put another way, will all of these packages still work if I _do_ have
> emacs-org installed in my profile?

Good question. This is why I'm sending this patch for review in the
first place.

I don't expect byte-compilation to do anything fancy here. As long as
the functions do not change their name, byte-compilation should be fine.
Take it with a grain of salt, tho. Maybe we should just test it and fix
encountered issues piece wise.

OTOH, we currently force users to always update Org, possibly
introducing, each time, breakage in their workflow, to get features that
would work perfectly with bundled Org.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou