Subject: Re: bug#41185: highlight-regexp not working properly for multiline-matching regexps

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 01:37:36 +0200

jan <[email-masked]> writes:

> start emacs with -Q, open a new buffer, say 'asdf'

> type in 'silly'
>
> Highlight it; M-s h r silly ret
>
> existing silly gets highligted.
>
> Press return a couple of times then type in 'silly' again, does not
> highlight (see silly_twice_only_one_got_highlighted.PNG)

Highlighting is not updated if overlays need to be used because the
buffer does not use font-lock-mode (see the docstring of
`highlight-regexp').

Were you aware of that fact, or does your experiment fail even for
"supported" buffers?

Regards,

Michael.