Subject: bug#41182: closed (Re: bug#41182: Profile hooks ignore system and target)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 15:24:01 +0000

Your bug report

#41182: Profile hooks ignore system and target

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41182: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41182
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41182: Profile hooks ignore system and target
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 17:23:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Alright, fixed!

  80963744a2 store: 'mapm/accumulate-builds' preserves '%current-target-system'.
  f52fbf7094 packages: Ensure bags are insensitive to '%current-target-system'.

Ludo’.

Subject: Profile hooks ignore system and target
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 22:38:57 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

As janneke found (and maybe Mathieu also), the profile hooks called by
‘profile-derivation’ for some reason end up using a different system and
target, as can be seen in this example:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix describe
Generacio 141	May 10 2020 11:41:44	(nuna)
  guix 279569c
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 279569ca8251b9ae3f96e4486e4614e340d0fe4f
$ guix pack --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf --no-grafts idutils -d
/gnu/store/rjbs4a5l1vi3winbf71xz3d0hhmdwnjj-tarball-pack.tar.gz.drv
$ guix gc -R /gnu/store/rjbs4a5l1vi3winbf71xz3d0hhmdwnjj-tarball-pack.tar.gz.drv | grep idutils-4.6.drv
/gnu/store/kfv7bwzapb3lfirdpyjh5zcrrpld90ni-idutils-4.6.drv
/gnu/store/1y5rjcvs6giag414wg4ngz7cp4mxy76v-idutils-4.6.drv
$ guix build idutils --no-grafts -d
/gnu/store/kfv7bwzapb3lfirdpyjh5zcrrpld90ni-idutils-4.6.drv
$ guix build idutils --no-grafts -d --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf
/gnu/store/1y5rjcvs6giag414wg4ngz7cp4mxy76v-idutils-4.6.drv
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

We should be seeing only the cross-compile derivation.  Where does the
native derivation come from?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./pre-inst-env guix graph --path -t derivation /gnu/store/rjbs4a5l1vi3winbf71xz3d0hhmdwnjj-tarball-pack.tar.gz.drv /gnu/store/kfv7bwzapb3lfirdpyjh5zcrrpld90ni-idutils-4.6.drv
/gnu/store/rjbs4a5l1vi3winbf71xz3d0hhmdwnjj-tarball-pack.tar.gz.drv
/gnu/store/hxp1gqbmmq4hjwnb8m1amp15k0ax455m-profile.drv
/gnu/store/3180cdca49sl6xhn9prx9xcwv20jlpdl-fonts-dir.drv
/gnu/store/kfv7bwzapb3lfirdpyjh5zcrrpld90ni-idutils-4.6.drv
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Actually all the profile hooks refer to the native derivation.

To be continued…

Ludo’.