Subject: Re: bug#4117: 23.1; isearch + isearch-allow-scroll loses shift

From: Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 18:15:08 +0000

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:18 AM Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:23 PM, Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > OK, if that's the case, then it seems to me that this bug report is
> > either unreproducible, or (if I understand the report correctly) not a
> > bug in the first place.
>
> Um, I reported it for 23.1, seven years ago.  Back this it definitely
> *was* a bug (read the emails: we discussed a hack I had around it, and
> other ways to solve it).  Your conclusion that it's "not a bug a bug in
> the first place" is therefore very strange.
>

Perhaps I've misunderstood your original bug report or reply.  To be as
clear as possible, here's what I think is true, so tell me what part I'm
misunderstanding:

The original bug report was that if you do an isearch, then C-S-right, the
word that was selected as part of isearch is no longer selected, and the
selection starts out to the right of the word.  So, if you searched for
"foo" and the buffer text was "foo bar", and isearch is selecting "foo",
then C-S-right will leave you with only "bar" selected, instead of "foo
bar" selected.

This is something I can reproduce right now on Emacs 25.

You said you could no longer reproduce this, and that your expectation is
that "C-s-right would terminate isearch and select the next word".  I
understood this to mean that C-s-right would, in our example, only select
"bar", and that's the expected behavior.  Is it?

>
> --
>                    ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                  Eli Barzilay:
>                    http://barzilay.org/                  Maze is Life!
>