Subject: Re: bug#4117: 23.1; isearch + isearch-allow-scroll loses shift

From: Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 08:38:49 -0400

Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:18 AM Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:23 PM, Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > OK, if that's the case, then it seems to me that this bug report is
>>> > either unreproducible, or (if I understand the report correctly) not a
>>> > bug in the first place.
>>>
>>> Um, I reported it for 23.1, seven years ago.  Back this it definitely
>>> *was* a bug (read the emails: we discussed a hack I had around it, and
>>> other ways to solve it).  Your conclusion that it's "not a bug a bug in
>>> the first place" is therefore very strange.
>>
>>
>> Perhaps I've misunderstood your original bug report or reply.  To be
>> as clear as possible, here's what I think is true, so tell me what
>> part I'm misunderstanding:
>>
>> The original bug report was that if you do an isearch, then C-S-right,
>> the word that was selected as part of isearch is no longer selected,
>> and the selection starts out to the right of the word.  So, if you
>> searched for "foo" and the buffer text was "foo bar", and isearch is
>> selecting "foo", then C-S-right will leave you with only "bar"
>> selected, instead of "foo bar" selected.
>
> No: what you're describing was the behavior I *expected*.  The bug was
> that the key that was used to exit isearch -- C-S-right in my reported
> case -- would "lose" the shift bit, making it be treated as just
> C-right, and leaving the buffer with the cursor after the "foo bar" and
> with no selection.  If you look at the past emails for this bug, you'll
> see that the reason for that was discussed, including a solution that
> was most likely implemented.
>
>
>> This is something I can reproduce right now on Emacs 25.
>
> ... And the result of the above is that it is indeed working as you
> describe on v25 which means that it was probably fine for a while now
> but the bug was just not closed.
>
>
>> You said you could no longer reproduce this, and that your expectation
>> is that "C-s-right would terminate isearch and select the next word".
>> I understood this to mean that C-s-right would, in our example, only
>> select "bar", and that's the expected behavior.  Is it?
>
> To summarize it: all is fine and this bug should be closed -- I just
> objected to your reasoning that it was "not a bug in the first place".
> It *was* a bug, and it got resolved -- a long time ago.

Got it, thanks for the explanation.  I'll make sure this is closed.