Subject: Re: bug#4117: 23.1; isearch + isearch-allow-scroll loses shift

From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 13:23:25 -0400

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:18 AM Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:23 PM, Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, if that's the case, then it seems to me that this bug report is
>> > either unreproducible, or (if I understand the report correctly) not a
>> > bug in the first place.
>>
>> Um, I reported it for 23.1, seven years ago.  Back this it definitely
>> *was* a bug (read the emails: we discussed a hack I had around it, and
>> other ways to solve it).  Your conclusion that it's "not a bug a bug in
>> the first place" is therefore very strange.
>
>
> Perhaps I've misunderstood your original bug report or reply.  To be
> as clear as possible, here's what I think is true, so tell me what
> part I'm misunderstanding:
>
> The original bug report was that if you do an isearch, then C-S-right,
> the word that was selected as part of isearch is no longer selected,
> and the selection starts out to the right of the word.  So, if you
> searched for "foo" and the buffer text was "foo bar", and isearch is
> selecting "foo", then C-S-right will leave you with only "bar"
> selected, instead of "foo bar" selected.

No: what you're describing was the behavior I *expected*.  The bug was
that the key that was used to exit isearch -- C-S-right in my reported
case -- would "lose" the shift bit, making it be treated as just
C-right, and leaving the buffer with the cursor after the "foo bar" and
with no selection.  If you look at the past emails for this bug, you'll
see that the reason for that was discussed, including a solution that
was most likely implemented.

> This is something I can reproduce right now on Emacs 25.

... And the result of the above is that it is indeed working as you
describe on v25 which means that it was probably fine for a while now
but the bug was just not closed.

> You said you could no longer reproduce this, and that your expectation
> is that "C-s-right would terminate isearch and select the next word".
> I understood this to mean that C-s-right would, in our example, only
> select "bar", and that's the expected behavior.  Is it?

To summarize it: all is fine and this bug should be closed -- I just
objected to your reasoning that it was "not a bug in the first place".
It *was* a bug, and it got resolved -- a long time ago.

-- 
                   ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                  Eli Barzilay:
                   http://barzilay.org/                  Maze is Life!