Subject: Re: [bug#41150] [PATCH] gnu: Add powerstat.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 23:04:08 +0200

Jean-Baptiste!

Jean-Baptiste Note 写道：
> There are actually more than 300 such instances

*Hundreds*! :-p

On a positive note there are 3 fewer occurences on c-u (308) than 
master (311).

I used a simple ‘grep CC=gcc | wc -l’; I suspect you did something 
similar.

> and counting...

It shouldn't increase if people posts their patches for review 
(...and they actually get reviewed...).  CC=gcc is an old habit 
but not difficult to break.

> Couldn't we get a "magic" variable %target-cc like we have
> %output, %outputs -- then we could just stubstitute gcc for this
> variable...

I'm (not yet?) (no longer?) convinced that's a good idea once 
gnu-build-system takes care of those 308 packages and we're left 
with the exceptions.

When I replied to Mathieu's last mail I hadn't looked at the code 
yet:

  (let ((target ,(%current-target-system)))
    (list (string-append "CC=" (if target
                                   (string-append target "-gcc")
                                   "gcc"))))

To me, abstracting that is beyond overkill.

However, I don't know much about cross-compiling.  TBH I'd be 
sowewhat surprised if none of the CROSS-* procedures I regularly 
scroll past do something like this already.

> I would do it, if I only knew where these are defined, but my 
> scheme
> skills are definitely lacking :)

Mainly (gnu packages cross-base).

Kind regards,

T G-R, currently building kernels to properly answer your 
hibernation mails...