Subject: Re: [bug#41150] [PATCH] gnu: Add powerstat.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 19:32:15 +0200

Mathieu,

Mathieu Othacehe 写道：
> Hard-coding CC this way will prevent cross-compilation. You can 
> have a
> look to "crda" or "libaio" for examples.

Eh?  This is the first time anyone's ever mentioned that.  Thanks! 
It's obvious how much cross-compilation means to me.

(You realise there are *hundreds* of CC=gcc lines in current Guix, 
right?)

Don't get me wrong: I love that Guix still cares so much about 
cross-compilation, and the tremendous effort I see in the logs 
every month to make it work better, when (at least a few years 
ago) it was all the rage to declare it dead since VMs exist or 
something.

> As this is a recurring pattern, we should find a way to add it 
> somewhere
> in the build-system. But for now, the ugly snippet appending 
> target
> should work :).

I agree that handling (only) standard GNU variables[0] in the GNU 
build system makes sense.

I'll add the snippet of power.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: 
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Utilities-in-Makefiles