Subject: Re: bug#41145: 27.0.91; small issues with `display-fill-column-indicator' Customization group

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:36:12 -0400

>> I did some debugging and found that the difference is that there are no
>> custom options or faces defined in display-fill-column-indicator.el:
>> fill-column-indicator is in faces.el and
>> display-fill-column-indicator, display-fill-column-indicator-character
>> and display-fill-column-indicator-column are in xdisp.c

Which begs the question: why define the group there?

>> Or if eventually a defface or a defcustom makes its way into
>> display-fill-column-indicator.el, of course.

Actually, there is a defcustom there (in the expansion of
`define-globalized-minor-mode`).

>> Note that adding the above form will result in adding cus-edit to the
>> custom-loads property of the groups defined in cus-edit (like editing,
>> convenience, etc.).  I don't know if that is harmless.
>
> Stefan, any suggestions regarding which solution route is preferable?

I'd get rid of the file and move its content to one of the
preloaded files (simple.el?  faces.el?  fill.el? ...)

        Stefan