Subject: Re: bug#41130: bug#41198: 27.0.60; [PATCH] heading cycling command for outline

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 14:34:06 -0700

Howard Melman <[email-masked]> writes:

> So in a programming mode with outline-minor-mode enabled:
> - S-TAB can be used anywhere for global cycling
> - TAB on a heading is used for cycling
> - TAB not on a heading is used to indent
> - M-right and M-left anywhere can be used to indent/unindent

Thanks.

I think what you say makes sense for outline-minor-mode.  We should take
care to distinguish that case from outline-mode, however.

>> A minor thing: if the motivation is to align with Org mode, should I
>> change the text message to align with Org mode? It prints “show all”,
>> “hide all”, etc (because they make sense), but Org mode prints stuff
>> like “CHILDREN”, “SUBTREE”, etc.
>
> IMHO consistency with outline terms is more important
> here. It would be helpful if outline and org agreed on
> terms. If they don't, then perhaps this could use both with
> org terms in parenthesis.

I think outline-mode should also be internally consistent with itself.
So I would suggest to stick to whatever terminology outline-mode uses
elsewhere also for these commands.

Maybe this suggests that the terminology in org-mode and outline-mode
could be aligned also on this point?  But that seems to be a different
issue than the one at hand.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas