Subject: Re: bug#41129: outline-mode: New keybindings for demote/promote/move-subtree

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 21:22:38 +0200

> From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 13:48:38 -0500
> 
> > This command has two bindings not because of its importance, but
> > because other programs out there use those bindings.  Emacs is
> > following the expectations of the users here.
> 
> Ok, but in emacs they expect and need both?

Yes, because some applications support one and others the other key
binding.

> How do they adjust in org mode? Or is this a complaint that users of
> right-word have in org-mode? Would users of outline-minor-mode
> adjust similarly?

The bindings have nothing to do with bidirectional text.  C-<RIGHT>
and C-<LEFT> (and the corresponding M- bindings) have a meaning in
strict left-to-right text as well: they move by words in the
corresponding directions.

> Does outline-mode support right-to-left oriented outlines?
> Does org?

Yes to both questions, but again: the issue at hand has nothing to do
with bidirectional editing.

> I'm guessing not because then these arrow key bindings would want to
> adjust demote/promote behavior accordingly.  Should they?

That's a separate issue, for which I have no definite opinions to
offer.  I chimed in to set the record straight on these bindings
regardless of Org or Outline.  Whether rebinding these to
level-related commands will or will not confuse users of Org and
Outline is something for those users to say.

> Maybe these bindings could be in another minor-mode that
> could be enabled by those users that want them?
> outline-use-org-bindings-minor-mode. 

I think the idea is that many users want them.