Subject: Re: bug#41129: outline-mode: New keybindings for demote/promote/move-subtree

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 12:39:52 -0500

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Howard Melman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> If I'm correct that the standard cursor movement bindings on
>> M-<right>, M-<left> you're referring to are word movement
>> commands, then they also have existing bindings on C-<right>
>> and C-<left> and are at least very similar to M-f and M-b..
>
> That these commands also have other bindings doesn't really affect how
> annoying rebinding M-<right> is for the users that are used to M-<right>.

So I'm clear, the command right-word, which is only useful
when editing bidirectional (not merely right-to-left) text ,
and even then only changes the orientation of the very basic
command forward-word (still bound to M-f), is so important
it needs TWO very similar default key bindings (M-right and
C-right).  And an optional minor-mode, when enabled, can't
shadow ONE of those bindings so that its very commonly used
command outline-demote can be, by default, on the easy to
type and remember M-right instead of only the difficult to
type and remember C-c @ C-right to match the behavior of the
very popular org-mode.

I agree that default bindings should be changed with
caution, even great caution, but IMHO if this case doesn't
meet that threshold I'm hard pressed to think of another
that can.

-- 

Howard