Subject: Re: bug#41129: outline-mode: New keybindings for demote/promote/move-subtree

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 15:09:05 +0530

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<left>") 'outline-demote)
>>> (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<right>") 'outline-promote)
>>
>> Sorry, that should be the other way around:
>>
>> (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<left>") 'outline-promote)
>> (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<right>") 'outline-demote)
>
> `M-<right>' (etc) are already bound to cursor movement commands by
> default, so this would shadow these bindings in outline-minor-mode?  I
> think that would be inconvenient for many people.
>
> I'm not sure M-<right> (etc) are obvious bindings for outline handling
> even if that weren't the case.  Anybody got any opinions here?

That is difficult question. Because people coming from org background
will find it difficult if ‘M-<right>’ and ‘M-<left>’ don’t work as
expected by them. But then how many people will use both, org and the
outline-mode.

Irrespective of the above issue, in my opinion, there should be a
standardized way of doing similar things in Emacs.