Subject: bug#41126: [PATCH] doc: Added very minimal doc strings to (srfi srfi-9 gnu).

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 22:21:22 +0200

Hi Dale,

Dale Mellor <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * module/srfi/srfi-9/gnu.scm: Added some doc strings.

[...]

>  (define (set-record-type-printer! type proc)
> -  "Set PROC as the custom printer for TYPE."
> +  "- Scheme Procedure: set-record-type-printer! TYPE PROC
> +     Set PROC as the custom printer for TYPE."

The convention in Guile is to write docstrings like it was initially
written.  The bit you added is redundant with the function prototype,
which tools like Geiser automatically print for yourself.

At the “raw” REPL, you can also view that info:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
scheme@(guile-user)> ,a set-record-type-printer!
(srfi srfi-9 gnu): set-record-type-printer!	#<procedure set-record-type-printer! (type proc)>
scheme@(guile-user)> ,d set-record-type-printer!
Set PROC as the custom printer for TYPE.
scheme@(guile-user)> set-record-type-printer!
$9 = #<procedure set-record-type-printer! (type proc)>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If you wish, you can submit an updated patch that follows these
conventions.

Thank you,
Ludo’.