Subject: bug#41124: 26.3; highlight regexp not working properly - not updating as you type

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 01:20:22 +0200

jan <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't understand this reply as I'm very much an emacs user not an
> emacs programmer,

Sorry for that.

> but "...could query the user whether he still wants
> to enable hi-locking using font-lock, with the risk of messing up..."
>  - this kind of thing, letting me know I can't have what I'm asking
> for (or can but at a risk) would be helpful so I know I'm not going to
> get it.
> I reported this as a bug out of ignorance, some hint from emacs that
> it was PEBKAC[0] would have saved me wasting Eli's time.

What I wanted to say was that your report was totally justified because
what the docstring tells about font-lock mode is a bit misleading.

Maybe hi-lock could also tell you which method of highlighting it
chooses.  And maybe it would also make sense to allow using the
font-lock mode based method in modes that don't implemented font-lock,
I'm not sure.

Michael.