Subject: bug#41124: 26.3; highlight regexp not working properly - not updating as you type

From: jan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 16:36:02 +0100

Hi,
I don't know much about modes, I'm an emacs user rather than an emacs
programmer. So yep, it was fundamental. I'll do some reading on modes
tonight.

But FWIW I found this originally happening in another mode where I was
trying to identify large chunks easily.
So while this is surely my mistake also, to reproduce, I dragged a.txt
file from a git repo into emacs (again, windows - started with emacs
-Q to be sure)

It said 'git-master' in the status bar.

M-x describe-mode gives

Enabled minor modes: Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption
Blink-Cursor Diff-Auto-Refine Electric-Indent File-Name-Shadow
Font-Lock Global-Eldoc Global-Font-Lock Line-Number Menu-Bar
Mouse-Wheel Tool-Bar Tooltip Transient-Mark

I can reproduce my 'wrong' behaviour in this text file. I wasn't expecting that.

So FYI and this is surely just my misunderstanding, sorry for messing
you around.

jan

On 07/05/2020, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> [Please keep the bug address on the CC list; use Reply All.]
>
>> From: jan <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 14:39:28 +0100
>>
>> Tried it in windows with -Q
>> Works as expected in *scratch*, but create another buffer (C-x b asdf)
>> and it does not.
>
> That other buffer is in Fundamental mode, right?  Font-lock does
> nothing in Fundamental mode.
>