Subject: bug#41120: uvesafb service is unsupported on aarch64

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 11:05:22 +0300

On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 09:06:21AM +0200, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
> 
> Hello Efraim,
> 
> > the uvesafb-service which was added to the installation image isn't
> > supported on aarch64 (or probably any non-x86 system) and causes the
> > creation of an installation image to fail.
> 
> Thanks for reporting. There's this small snippet in uvesafb-service:
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>   (or (not (and (string-suffix? "linux-gnu" %host-type)
>                 (or (string-prefix? "x86_64" %host-type)
>                     (string-prefix? "i686" %host-type))))
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> 
> which must then fail? Do you have a specific error message?
> 

It fails while building v86d. Looking at the or statement, it should
probably close after (file-exists? "/dev/fb0") and then the whole thing
wrapped in a when or an if. I checked and /dev/fb0 doesn't exist on my
machine.

Actually that didn't make a difference, it still tried to build v86d.
Even changing the '(or (not' to '(if (and (and' it still tries to build
v86d. My guess is that it's not evaluating the conditionals until it's
time to run the service so it makes sure v86d is there.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted