Subject: [bug#41118] [PATCH] gnu: inkscape: Update to 1.0.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 11:20:20 -0400

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 11:23:10PM -0400, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> The following updates Inkscape to its 1.0 version.  The test suite is
> enabled and an effort is made to unbundle as much of 3rd party libraries
> as possible (but more can be done, if you'd like to help: see the
> comments in the patch).
> 
> The last patch of the series (Add libdepixelize) is added as a WIP, and
> is included as a curiosity only (not intended to be merged in its
> current state).

Thanks!

Too bad about the licensing issues... it seems like it might be a while
before they are resolved upstream. I think it's not totally correct to
say that the license of lib2geom is effectively GPL3+. Only the
copyright-holders of lib2geom can say that, right? The licenses are
effectively incoherent and I'd say the software is not something we have
the right to distribute :/ I'm no expert, however.

I did notice that Inkscape's COPYING has addressed this issue for a few
years, due to some files from copied GIMP, and reads: "As such, the
complete binaries of Inkscape are currently covered by the terms of GNU
GPL version 3 or later." Given that, I guess we are only waiting on
lib2geom to make a decision?

I saw the bug report on Inkscape's GitLab page [0], but I'm wondering if
there was actually any public discussion upstream, like on a mailing
list?

[0] https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/issues/784