Subject: Re: bug#41117: "Cut and paste" section name in bookmarks (PDF, Emacs manual)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 21:31:51 +0200

> Not my experience.  I see curved quotes, AFAIR.

Strange, for official PDF updated for 26.3, Adobe Reader, SumatraPDF,
and Firefox's PDF reader, all show ``...'' instead of “...”, here.

 > But even if this isn't true, the Texinfo sources of the Emacs manual
 > is not the place to fix it, this should be fixed in Texinfo.

If it's Texinfo problem, then yes.  I just tried to fix it the
simplest way possible.

 > We use quoting ``..'' like this in Texinfo because this is supposed to
 > produce curved quotes, as printed quoted text is supposed to look.  I
 > don't think it's right to change that because PDF looks wrong, it
 > isn't a problem with our manual.

I'm aware of ``...'' as a default way of printing “...”, but - again -
I wanted to fix it and this small change did it.  Because it wasn't in
the middle of paragraph, I thought it may be acceptable.

Since you don't want make any exceptions of this kind, I think I'm on
my way to "help-texinfo" mailing list.  Could you keep this open for
few more days?

S. U.