Subject: bug#41117: "Cut and paste" section name in bookmarks (PDF, Emacs manual)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 20:32:54 +0300

> From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 19:28:36 +0200
> 
> The image is screenshot of bookmarks panel.  You probably won't see
> curved quotes there because, I think, PDF bookmarks can't show these
> glyphs.  So, probably, it shows ASCII characters, i.e. ``...'' or
> ASCII approximations.

Not my experience.  I see curved quotes, AFAIR.  But even if this
isn't true, the Texinfo sources of the Emacs manual is not the place
to fix it, this should be fixed in Texinfo.

> Because in Emacs manual, in section "Quotation Marks", there are
> presented two conventions for ASCII quotes - 'like this' and "like
> this", I wanted to make it look more appropriate.  And that's why I
> chose to change in source ``...'' to “...” - everything will look as
> it is now, except for name in PDF bookmarks panel, which will change
> from ``Cut and Paste''... to "Cut and Paste"..., so closer to the
> convention of ASCII style of quoting.

We use quoting ``..'' like this in Texinfo because this is supposed to
produce curved quotes, as printed quoted text is supposed to look.  I
don't think it's right to change that because PDF looks wrong, it
isn't a problem with our manual.

Thanks.