Subject: bug#41114: 28.0.50; default-directory & buffer-file-name set to file:// URLs

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 23:28:19 +0200

1. emacs -Q
2. (browse-url-emacs "file:///home/horn/.bashrc") ;; Adapt file name.

The result of the procedure is that `buffer-file-name' is
"file:///home/horn/.bashrc" and `default-directory' is
"file:///home/horn/".

According to the docs, both variables should be absolute file names, not
URLs.

The problems with those URLs are at least that:

- C-x C-f in that buffer will offer a completely broken initial
  directory when querying for a file or directory.  For me it is
  ~/Repos/el/emacs/src/file:/home/horn/file:/home/horn/.

- When call-process is called from that buffer it'll error that
  file:///home/horn/ cannot be set as current directory.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.17.3)
 of 2020-05-06 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: 86fef6ab89ee54c6f78bc2064e55c5439e929827
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
20200506T231237.545> nnimap read 0k from imap.fastmail.com
20200506T231240.944> Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
20200506T231240.963> Expiring articles...
20200506T231241.412> Expiring articles...done
20200506T231242.815> Saving Gnus registry (5077 entries) to ~/.gnus.d/.gnus.registry.eieio...
20200506T231243.315> Saving Gnus registry (size 5077) to ~/.gnus.d/.gnus.registry.eieio...done
20200506T231243.316> Saving /home/horn/.gnus.d/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/horn/.gnus.d/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/horn/.gnus.d/.newsrc.eld
20200506T231243.332> Saving /home/horn/.gnus.d/.newsrc.eld...done

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-cairo'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  aggressive-indent-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-ligature-minor-mode: t
  ligature-minor-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug qp flow-fill mm-archive mailalias hippie-exp vc-mtn
vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs sort gnus-cite
gnus-async gnus-bcklg mule-util gnus-ml hl-line cursor-sensor nndraft
nnmh rot13 utf-7 network-stream nnml nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp spam
spam-stat gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg gnus-gravatar mail-extr gravatar dns
url-cache gnus-topic nnir gnus-registry registry eieio-base th-private
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-bbdb paredit
display-fill-column-indicator auto-package-update finder-inf generic
logview datetime extmap bindat fish-mode cargo cargo-process rust-mode
web-mode disp-table preview-latex auto-loads tex-site eglot array
jsonrpc ert pp debug backtrace xref flymake-proc flymake compile beacon
aggressive-indent rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
epa-file org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol
org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs dired-x dired-collapse dired-hacks-utils f s smtpmail-multi
smtpmail sendmail ecomplete yasnippet auto-dictionary flyspell ispell
tramp-smb which-key highlight-parentheses cl company-restclient
know-your-http-well http-status-codes http-relations http-methods
http-headers company pcase raven project restclient forge-list
forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs
forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub let-alist gnutls forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq
forge-issue forge-topic bug-reference forge-post markdown-mode color
thingatpt noutline outline forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql
emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode
diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process magit-mode git-commit transient magit-git
magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit pcvs-util add-log with-editor
async-bytecomp advice async server dash undo-tree diff
visual-filename-abbrev debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm
warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp use-package-bind-key
bind-key mb-depth use-package-diminish windmove elec-pair rx recentf
tree-widget cap-words superword subword saveplace savehist paren smiley
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap shr
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util svg xml dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
gnus wid-edit nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums text-property-search mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro
kmacro ligature easy-mmode dracula-theme diminish cl-extra help-mode
use-package-ensure use-package-core tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec info package
easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 669595 34871)
 (symbols 48 47522 6)
 (strings 32 231796 6067)
 (string-bytes 1 7285997)
 (vectors 16 73775)
 (vector-slots 8 1049244 78008)
 (floats 8 519 126)
 (intervals 56 1094 0)
 (buffers 992 27))