Subject: bug#41100: closed (Re: emacs-27 7081c1d: Fix typos in the Emacs user manual)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 17:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#41100: 2 undefined references and missing character (Emacs manual, PDF)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41100: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41100
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: emacs-27 7081c1d: Fix typos in the Emacs user manual
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 10:29:53 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 5/10/20 10:27 AM, Sebastian Urban wrote:
> So, if we can ignore the warnings, I guess we can close it (Bug
> #41100)?

Sure, done.

Subject: 2 undefined references and missing character (Emacs manual, PDF)
From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 22:17:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I was building PDF of Emacs manual (doc/emacs from 3.05.2020),
there were problems with 2 references and missing character.

1. References.

pdfTeX warning (dest): name {\(Hooks\)} has been referenced but does
not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{VC\040Delete/Rename} has been referenced
but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

After digging:

For DIRED.TEXI (from build log):
   l.726: Undefined cross reference `VC Delete/Rename-snt'.
   l.726: Undefined cross reference `VC Delete/Rename-snt'.
   l.726: Undefined cross reference `VC Delete/Rename-pg'.
In VC1-XTRA.TEXI (L206-211), this reference is for non-TeX formats,
for TeX there is longer name.

For CUSTOM.TEXI (from build log):
   l.1885: Undefined cross reference `(Hooks)-snt'.
   l.1885: Undefined cross reference `(Hooks)-snt'.
   l.1885: Undefined cross reference `(Hooks)-pg'.
I think I fixed this:

--- old/custom.texi     2020-05-05 21:20:12.301698100 +0200
+++ new/custom.texi     2020-05-05 21:21:05.926993100 +0200
@@ -1882,7 +1882,7 @@

    Since a mode's keymaps are not constructed until it has been loaded,
  you must delay running code which modifies them, e.g., by putting it
-on a @dfn{mode hook} (@pxref{(Hooks)}).  For example, Texinfo mode
+on a @dfn{mode hook} (@pxref{Hooks}).  For example, Texinfo mode
  runs the hook @code{texinfo-mode-hook}.  Here's how you can use the
  hook to add local bindings for @kbd{C-c n} and @kbd{C-c p}, and remove
  the one for @kbd{C-c C-x x} in Texinfo mode:

2. Missing character.

As for missing character, there is a problem with word "Bahá'í" in
CALENDAR.TEXI.  In the log I found:
   Missing character: There is no Ă in font cmr10!
   Missing character: There is no Ą in font cmr10!
   Missing character: There is no Ă in font cmr10!
   Missing character: There is no - in font cmr10!
After changing "Bahá'í" to "Baha'i", so ASCII only, the lines above
disappeared from the log.

S. U.