Subject: bug#41100: 2 undefined references and missing character (Emacs manual, PDF)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 22:17:39 +0200

When I was building PDF of Emacs manual (doc/emacs from 3.05.2020),
there were problems with 2 references and missing character.

1. References.

pdfTeX warning (dest): name {\(Hooks\)} has been referenced but does
not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{VC\040Delete/Rename} has been referenced
but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

After digging:

For DIRED.TEXI (from build log):
   l.726: Undefined cross reference `VC Delete/Rename-snt'.
   l.726: Undefined cross reference `VC Delete/Rename-snt'.
   l.726: Undefined cross reference `VC Delete/Rename-pg'.
In VC1-XTRA.TEXI (L206-211), this reference is for non-TeX formats,
for TeX there is longer name.

For CUSTOM.TEXI (from build log):
   l.1885: Undefined cross reference `(Hooks)-snt'.
   l.1885: Undefined cross reference `(Hooks)-snt'.
   l.1885: Undefined cross reference `(Hooks)-pg'.
I think I fixed this:

--- old/custom.texi     2020-05-05 21:20:12.301698100 +0200
+++ new/custom.texi     2020-05-05 21:21:05.926993100 +0200
@@ -1882,7 +1882,7 @@

    Since a mode's keymaps are not constructed until it has been loaded,
  you must delay running code which modifies them, e.g., by putting it
-on a @dfn{mode hook} (@pxref{(Hooks)}).  For example, Texinfo mode
+on a @dfn{mode hook} (@pxref{Hooks}).  For example, Texinfo mode
  runs the hook @code{texinfo-mode-hook}.  Here's how you can use the
  hook to add local bindings for @kbd{C-c n} and @kbd{C-c p}, and remove
  the one for @kbd{C-c C-x x} in Texinfo mode:

2. Missing character.

As for missing character, there is a problem with word "Bahá'í" in
CALENDAR.TEXI.  In the log I found:
   Missing character: There is no Ă in font cmr10!
   Missing character: There is no Ą in font cmr10!
   Missing character: There is no Ă in font cmr10!
   Missing character: There is no - in font cmr10!
After changing "Bahá'í" to "Baha'i", so ASCII only, the lines above
disappeared from the log.

S. U.