Subject: Re: bug#41100: 2 undefined references and missing character (Emacs manual, PDF)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 17:07:38 +0200

>> As for missing character, there is a problem with word "Bahá'í" in
 >> CALENDAR.TEXI.  In the log I found:
 >>    Missing character: There is no Ă in font cmr10!
 >>    Missing character: There is no Ą in font cmr10!
 >>    Missing character: There is no Ă in font cmr10!
 >>    Missing character: There is no - in font cmr10!
 >> After changing "Bahá'í" to "Baha'i", so ASCII only, the lines above
 >> disappeared from the log.
 >
 > I tried to fix this, but I'm not sure the fix will work: ultimately,
 > this is a problem with fonts available to TeX.  I'm not sure we should
 > change names that are dear to some people because TeX might not have a
 > suitable font.  It could also be a Texinfo problem.

The funny thing is, even with this message, they looked OK in printed
version.

Anyway, I changed your fix to "Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}}", updated few
other places, in CAL-XTRA.TEXI as well, and I think this fixes
everything, these lines no longer appear in log.

For CALENDAR.TEXI:

<------------------------- DIFF START ------------------------->
--- old/calendar.texi	2020-05-08 16:22:02.409211500 +0200
+++ new/calendar.texi	2020-05-08 16:30:54.648170200 +0200
@@ -532,7 +532,7 @@
  holidays}, which prompts for the month and year.

    The holidays known to Emacs include United States holidays and the
-major Bah@'{a}@t{'}@'{i}, Chinese, Christian, Islamic, and Jewish
+major Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}}, Chinese, Christian, Islamic, and Jewish
  holidays; also the solstices and equinoxes.

  @findex list-holidays
@@ -769,10 +769,10 @@
  twelve @dfn{terrestrial branches} for a total of sixty names that are
  repeated in a cycle of sixty.

-@cindex Bahá'í calendar
-  The Bahá'í calendar system is based on a solar cycle of 19 months with
-19 days each.  The four remaining intercalary days are placed
-between the 18th and 19th months.
+@cindex Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}} calendar
+  The Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}} calendar system is based on a solar cycle
+of 19 months with 19 days each.  The four remaining intercalary days
+are placed between the 18th and 19th months.

  @node To Other Calendar
  @subsection Converting To Other Calendars
@@ -810,7 +810,7 @@
  (@code{calendar-french-print-date}).
  @findex calendar-bahai-print-date
  @item p b
-Display Bahá'í date for selected day
+Display Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}} date for selected day
  (@code{calendar-bahai-print-date}).
  @findex calendar-chinese-print-date
  @item p C
@@ -877,7 +877,7 @@
  Move to a date specified with an astronomical (Julian) day number
  (@code{calendar-astro-goto-day-number}).
  @item g b
-Move to a date specified in the Bahá'í calendar
+Move to a date specified in the Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}} calendar
  (@code{calendar-bahai-goto-date}).
  @item g h
  Move to a date specified in the Hebrew calendar
<------------------------- DIFF END ------------------------->

And the same for CAL-XTRA.TEXI:

<------------------------- DIFF START ------------------------->
--- old/cal-xtra.texi	2020-05-08 16:47:55.839947000 +0200
+++ new/cal-xtra.texi	2020-05-08 16:56:02.498805500 +0200
@@ -202,8 +202,9 @@
  @minus{}1 the last occurrence, @minus{}2 the second-to-last 
occurrence, and
  so on).

-  You can specify holidays that occur on fixed days of the Bahá'í,
-Chinese, Hebrew, Islamic, and Julian calendars too.  For example,
+  You can specify holidays that occur on fixed days of the
+Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}}, Chinese, Hebrew, Islamic, and Julian calendars
+too.  For example,

  @smallexample
  (setq holiday-other-holidays
@@ -513,11 +514,11 @@
  @subsection Diary Entries Using non-Gregorian Calendars

    As well as entries based on the standard Gregorian calendar, your
-diary can have entries based on Bahá'í, Chinese, Hebrew, or Islamic 
dates.
-Recognition of such entries can be time-consuming, however, and since
-most people don't use them, you must explicitly enable their use.  If
-you want the diary to recognize Hebrew-date diary entries, for example,
-you must do this:
+diary can have entries based on Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}}, Chinese, Hebrew,
+or Islamic dates.  Recognition of such entries can be time-consuming,
+however, and since most people don't use them, you must explicitly
+enable their use.  If you want the diary to recognize Hebrew-date diary
+entries, for example, you must do this:

  @vindex diary-nongregorian-listing-hook
  @vindex diary-nongregorian-marking-hook
@@ -535,7 +536,7 @@
  @end smallexample

  @noindent
-Similarly, for Islamic, Bahá'í and Chinese entries, add
+Similarly, for Islamic, Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}} and Chinese entries, add
  @code{diary-islamic-list-entries} and @code{diary-islamic-mark-entries},
  @code{diary-bahai-list-entries} and @code{diary-bahai-mark-entries},
  or @code{diary-chinese-list-entries} and 
@code{diary-chinese-mark-entries}.
@@ -546,14 +547,14 @@
  @vindex diary-islamic-entry-symbol
    These diary entries have the same formats as Gregorian-date diary
  entries; except that @code{diary-bahai-entry-symbol} (default @samp{B})
-must precede a Bahá'í date, @code{diary-chinese-entry-symbol} (default
-@samp{C}) a Chinese date, @code{diary-hebrew-entry-symbol} (default
-@samp{H}) a Hebrew date, and @code{diary-islamic-entry-symbol} (default
-@samp{I}) an Islamic date.  Moreover, non-Gregorian month names may not
-be abbreviated (because the first three letters are often not unique).
-(Note also that you must use ``Adar I'' if you want Adar of a common
-Hebrew year.)  For example, a diary entry for the Hebrew date Heshvan 25
-could look like this:
+must precede a Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}} date, 
@code{diary-chinese-entry-symbol}
+(default @samp{C}) a Chinese date, @code{diary-hebrew-entry-symbol}
+(default @samp{H}) a Hebrew date, and @code{diary-islamic-entry-symbol}
+(default @samp{I}) an Islamic date.  Moreover, non-Gregorian month names
+may not be abbreviated (because the first three letters are often not
+unique).  (Note also that you must use ``Adar I'' if you want Adar of a
+common Hebrew year.)  For example, a diary entry for the Hebrew date
+Heshvan 25 could look like this:

  @smallexample
  HHeshvan 25 Happy Hebrew birthday!
@@ -574,7 +575,7 @@

    Here is a table of commands used in the calendar to create diary
  entries that match the selected date and other dates that are similar in
-the Bahá'í, Chinese, Hebrew, or Islamic calendars:
+the Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}}, Chinese, Hebrew, or Islamic calendars:

  @table @kbd
  @item i h d
@@ -962,8 +963,8 @@
  @item %%(diary-astro-day-number)
  Make a diary entry with today's equivalent astronomical (Julian) day 
number.
  @item %%(diary-bahai-date)
-Make a diary entry with today's equivalent Bahá'í calendar date.
+Make a diary entry with today's equivalent Bah@'a'@'{@dotless{i}}
+calendar date.
  @item %%(diary-chinese-date)
  Make a diary entry with today's equivalent Chinese calendar date.
  @item %%(diary-coptic-date)
<------------------------- DIFF END ------------------------->

S. U.