Subject: bug#41097: 28.0.50; (dired-toggle-marks) not working after copy

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 17:55:03 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2020-05-10 17:08]:
> > Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 12:56:46 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
> >  rthur Miller <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > So C flag is mark same as with t, that is good for me.
> > 
> > But that behavior is not described that I know. If that is intended to
> > be so, that marking and flagging is the same, then maybe description
> > should be changed for that function, that user knows that function
> > will not work if files have the flag C for being copied.
> > 
> > Toggle marks: marked files become unmarked, and vice versa.
> > Files marked with other flags (such as ‘D’) are not affected.
> > ‘.’ and ‘..’ are never toggled.
> > As always, hidden subdirs are not affected.
> 
> Could you please tell what is missing or confusing in the doc string?
> Is it the fact that it mentions 'D', but not 'C'?

There is menu "Mark", in the menu there is "m" for mark, and "d" for
flag.

If m is for marking then (dired-toggle-marks) should work with
success, because why it should not work if the file is flagged with C,
because it is not a file for deletion. 

If is is for marking and d for flaging means to prepare for deletion,
then "m" does not flag, it marks, so there are no "other flags" but
there is just one mark and other flags. If menu separates marks from
flags, then the function should separate marks from flags too, maybe
except for flagged files.

Confusing, but I don't see a logic why I should not be able to toggle
marks on files that have been recently copied or renamed.

Jean