Subject: Re: bug#41097: 28.0.50; (dired-toggle-marks) not working after copy

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 19:58:18 +0300

> In the case at hand, someone decided that marking
> for file deletion is more worth signaling that other
> marking for other operations.  I, for one, am fine
> with that decision.  You apparently are not.  What's
> important is that the doc and UI are clear about the
> behavior, so all users know what to expect.

I can adapt myself. I love how Emacs is created and many people
participated and participate in its creation and improvements. I am
myself alright, and I am also alright with many new things to learn
in Emacs. Just looking from a new user perspective, it is still my own
viewpoint with addition of my opinion how new user looks at it.

I have used Emacs since 1999. For many years I have not even been
aware of Dired. I have delivered computer courses back in
1990-1992. And I have delivered few GNU free software seminars in
Germany. And all the time I have been using mostly Rox file manager of
Midnight Commander, in the shell. I was not aware of dired, not at
all. Emacs was for editing.

If I open a file, where in the Tools says "File manager" -- but it
should in my opinion. It is just in recent years that I became heavy
user of dired, as I have extended my personal use to varieties that I
could not implement in any other file manager.

I am old but new user. So for me it was not easily accessible to
discover Dired in so many years. And I program myself all the last 21
years.

File menu has no such "File manager" menu. Of course I know today that
I can open directory and I am in dired, but I was opening directory
even before, and I did not know that I am in dired, all I knew is that
I can open file for editing, that is what I knew.

That is one example.

Unspoken from the fact that I can use Emacs similar to the shell, as
the main window to all of my computing needs. Nobody explained me
that, I had to discover it myself and understand what other people are
speaking about it. That I find so powerful. 

> FWIW:
> 
> I've made quite a few changes to Dired menus in my own
> code (Dired+).  For one thing, I've separated flagging
> for deletion from marking otherwise, and I've separated
> unmarking from both: menus `Flag', `Mark', and `Unmark'.
> And each of those menus has more items.  And each of them
> is a submenu of menu `Marks' (flags are marks).
> 
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredPlus#MarksMenu

I cannot find it in list-packages

Jean