Subject: Re: bug#41097: 28.0.50; (dired-toggle-marks) not working after copy

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 07:34:24 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> IOW, explicitly say that toggling applies to `*' marks.

Yes, exactly.

> > But the inconsistency goes much further, we say that commands operate
> > on the "marked" files, but we mean only the *-marked files.
>
> See above.  (Are you talking about `t' here still?
> Why do you say "commands" (plural)?)

No, I mean commands, like

  dired-do-delete is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
  `dired.el'.
  [...]

  Delete all marked (or next ARG) files.

It doesn't say *-marked.  "Marked" typically means *-marked most of the
time.

> > (the term "marker character" is already used in the manual.)
>
> FWIW I don't understand why you added that part
> in parens to your message.

I only wanted to make clear that it's not a new term but one users that
read the manual are familiar with.  And it's maybe less misguiding than
"flag" (personally I could also live with just "character", since marks
are really just that).

Michael.