Subject: 28.0.50; `xml-print' produces invalid XML

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 14:31:36 +0200

For example:

emacs -Q -batch -l xml -eval '(with-temp-buffer (xml-print (quote ((foo nil "\0")))) (write-region nil nil "/tmp/test.xml"))' && xmllint /tmp/test.xml
/tmp/test.xml:1: parser error : Premature end of data in tag foo line 1
<foo>
     ^

`xml-print' here generates a NUL character, which is invalid in XML
(cf. https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#charsets).  Probably `xml-escape-string'
should error out when encountering any invalid character (including
non-Unicode characters).

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 44, x86_64-apple-darwin19.3.0, NS appkit-1894.30 Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D76))
 of 2020-04-12
Repository revision: 900947fbe8b202ce2ae15e87ef377ca27da73ec9
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.4

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-xml2 --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only --enable-checking=all
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton
derived edmacro kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars mailcap subr-x rx gnutls puny seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dbus xml cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 63759 4957)
 (symbols 48 8146 0)
 (strings 32 22012 1765)
 (string-bytes 1 705507)
 (vectors 16 13330)
 (vector-slots 8 171204 16342)
 (floats 8 25 19)
 (intervals 56 200 0)
 (buffers 992 10))