Subject: bug#41094: closed (Re: bug#41094: 28.0.50; `xml-print' produces invalid XML)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 12:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#41094: 28.0.50; `xml-print' produces invalid XML

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41094: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41094
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41094: 28.0.50; `xml-print' produces invalid XML
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 14:03:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Am Di., 5. Mai 2020 um 14:32 Uhr schrieb Philipp <[email-masked]>:
>
>
> For example:
>
> emacs -Q -batch -l xml -eval '(with-temp-buffer (xml-print (quote ((foo nil "\0")))) (write-region nil nil "/tmp/test.xml"))' && xmllint /tmp/test.xml
> /tmp/test.xml:1: parser error : Premature end of data in tag foo line 1
> <foo>
>      ^
>
> `xml-print' here generates a NUL character, which is invalid in XML
> (cf. https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#charsets).  Probably `xml-escape-string'
> should error out when encountering any invalid character (including
> non-Unicode characters).

Fixed with commit f8581bcf6a.

Subject: 28.0.50; `xml-print' produces invalid XML
From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 14:31:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

For example:

emacs -Q -batch -l xml -eval '(with-temp-buffer (xml-print (quote ((foo nil "\0")))) (write-region nil nil "/tmp/test.xml"))' && xmllint /tmp/test.xml
/tmp/test.xml:1: parser error : Premature end of data in tag foo line 1
<foo>
     ^

`xml-print' here generates a NUL character, which is invalid in XML
(cf. https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#charsets).  Probably `xml-escape-string'
should error out when encountering any invalid character (including
non-Unicode characters).

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 44, x86_64-apple-darwin19.3.0, NS appkit-1894.30 Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D76))
 of 2020-04-12
Repository revision: 900947fbe8b202ce2ae15e87ef377ca27da73ec9
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.4

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-xml2 --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only --enable-checking=all
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton
derived edmacro kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars mailcap subr-x rx gnutls puny seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dbus xml cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 63759 4957)
 (symbols 48 8146 0)
 (strings 32 22012 1765)
 (string-bytes 1 705507)
 (vectors 16 13330)
 (vector-slots 8 171204 16342)
 (floats 8 25 19)
 (intervals 56 200 0)
 (buffers 992 10))