Subject: bug#41087: closed (Re: bug#41087: 27.0.91; How to remove Emacs 27 changes to minibuffer?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 23:00:04 +0000

Your bug report

#41087: 27.0.91; How to remove Emacs 27 changes to minibuffer?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41087: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41087
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41087: 27.0.91; How to remove Emacs 27 changes to minibuffer?
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 01:50:22 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> I do think the doc, and NEWS, could help by
> clearly saying how to revert the changes.  Maybe
> it does so sufficiently; I haven't studied it.

There are a lot of such preprocessing lines in your libraries

  (< emacs-major-version 23)
  (= emacs-major-version 24)

so you could add something like

  (>= emacs-major-version 27)

to handle changes in Emacs 27.

Since NEWS describes how to get back a previous behavior,
I'm closing this report.

Subject: 27.0.91; How to remove Emacs 27 changes to minibuffer?
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 14:07:59 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

NEWS says this:

** Minibuffer

+++
*** A new user option, 'minibuffer-beginning-of-buffer-movement', has
been introduced to allow controlling how the 'M-<' command works in
the minibuffer.  If non-nil, point will move to the end of the prompt
(if point is after the end of the prompt).

+++
*** When the minibuffer is active, echo-area messages are displayed at
the end of the minibuffer instead of hiding the minibuffer by the echo
area display.  The new user option 'minibuffer-message-clear-timeout'
controls how messages displayed in this situation are removed from the
minibuffer.

---
*** Minibuffer now uses 'minibuffer-message' to display error messages
at the end of the active minibuffer.

+++
*** 'y-or-n-p' now uses the minibuffer to read 'y' or 'n' answer.

---
*** Some commands that previously used 'read-char-choice' now read
a character using the minibuffer by 'read-char-from-minibuffer'.

Emacs 27 is unfortunately _totally_ unusable for me.  Cannot do the
slightest thing.

I think that some of the problems come from the changes to minibuffer
and echo-area behavior.  Regardless of whether that is the case, I want
to undo those changes.  Is there an option for that? (I hope so.)  If
not, what changes do I need to make from Lisp, to get back the prior
behavior?

In GNU Emacs 27.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2020-04-20
Repository revision: c36c5a3dedbb2e0349be1b6c3b7567ea7b594f1c
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18362
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static''