Subject: Re: bug#41077: [feature/native-comp] virtual memory exhausted

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 00:04:44 +0200

Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As soon as I've figured out how to use the elisp-benchmarks package,
>> I'll post some figures; is there a specific place (bug number,
>> emacs-devel thread) where you usually collect such feedback?
>
> Cool, we have no bug number for that.  I guess you can use the "On elisp
> running native" thread or as you feel.

Mmm, I've installed the elisp-benchmarks package, and I've run

    $SOURCEDIR/src/emacs -Q -batch -l ./elisp-benchmarks.el -f elisp-benchmarks-run

from ~/.emacs.d/elpa/elisp-benchmarks-1.1, once with SOURCEDIR pointing
to the master worktree and once again with SOURCEDIR pointing to the
feature/native-comp worktree, and I get more or less the exact same
performance[1].

I've run the feature/native-comp emacs under strace and AFAICT the
native libraries get loaded[2]; I suspect I'm making some very basic
mistake but I can't put my finger on it.  Is there anything else I
should be looking for to assert that things work as intended?

Thank you for your patience.

[1] With the master branch:

    With the feature/native-comp branch:

[2] I've attached traces for the first benchmark iteration; from what I
    can tell .eln files are "loaded" correctly (I can see successful
    calls to openat, read, fstat, mmap and mprotect).

    I've run emacs master under strace too, out of paranoia; no .eln
    file gets loaded there, as expected.