Subject: bug#41077: [feature/native-comp] virtual memory exhausted

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 08:02:46 -0700

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Andrea!

Hi Kévin

> Thank you for implementing this blacklist; it turns out that
> char-fold.el was the only file my laptop could not handle[1], though as
> you'll see org.el was a strong contender.
>
> It took 3 days, but make -j1 successfully ran to completion on commit
> 92cf4bb.  In comparison, I've just compiled commit 9d8fc3a on master
> from scratch, and it took exactly 1 hour 35 minutes.

Wow thanks so much for the great report!  I'm glad it worked for you.

> As soon as I've figured out how to use the elisp-benchmarks package,
> I'll post some figures; is there a specific place (bug number,
> emacs-devel thread) where you usually collect such feedback?

Cool, we have no bug number for that.  I guess you can use the "On elisp
running native" thread or as you feel.

> Thank you for taking the time to guide me through compiling this branch.
> I know that reducing the memory footprint of native compilation is
> probably not your main focus right now, but I figured it would be
> interesting to provide some orders of magnitude.

It's very interesting thank you, your work will be usefull when we move
on the subject of compile-time/memory usage.  I've some idea on the code
generations side and we'll need to measure how it translates on the
compilation process.

Thanks

  Andrea

-- 
[email-masked]