Subject: bug#41075: Changes to 'ls' output

From: Chris Elvidge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 10:43:36 +0100

I have noticed that the output of ls seems to have changed from v8.25 to 
v8.32 where there is an apostrophe in the filename (sometimes); change 
from " surrounding to ' surrounding and '\'' replacing '. When output is 
piped through xxd, it is the same in both versions. I have 8.32 
installed in ~/bin/. Any ideas?

$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 5.0.11(1)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later 
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
[0] slack142!chris:(pts/2):Sun 03 May 2020 02:36 pm BST:/home/chris/bin

$ /usr/bin/ls --version
ls (GNU coreutils) 8.25
Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later 
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie.
[0] slack142!chris:(pts/2):Sun 03 May 2020 01:59 pm BST:/home/chris/bin

$ /usr/bin/ls /media/sf_Music/W.A.S.P\ -\ Greatest\ Hits/*Don*
/media/sf_Music/W.A.S.P - Greatest Hits/08 - I Don't Need No Doctor.m4a
/media/sf_Music/W.A.S.P - Greatest Hits/10 - Don't Cry (Just Suck).m4a
[0] slack142!chris:(pts/2):Sun 03 May 2020 01:59 pm BST:/home/chris/bin

$ ~/bin/ls --version
ls (GNU coreutils) 8.32
Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later 
<https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie.
[0] slack142!chris:(pts/2):Sun 03 May 2020 01:58 pm BST:/home/chris/bin

$ ~/bin/ls /media/sf_Music/W.A.S.P\ -\ Greatest\ Hits/*Don*
"/media/sf_Music/W.A.S.P - Greatest Hits/08 - I Don't Need No Doctor.m4a"
'/media/sf_Music/W.A.S.P - Greatest Hits/10 - Don'\''t Cry (Just Suck).m4a'
[0] slack142!chris:(pts/2):Sun 03 May 2020 01:59 pm BST:/home/chris/bin

-- 

Chris Elvidge

5 Ebor Park, Appleton Roebuck, York.  YO23 7DZ.
Tel (Mob): +447443472958 mailto:[email-masked]

Calle Padre Raimundo Codesal 1, Vélez-Málaga, 29700, España