Subject: Re: bug#41060: [PATCH] Use write-region when saving recentf file

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 14:00:18 +0200

[email-masked] (Philip K.) writes:

> I've been playing around with enabling "version-control" for backups,
> and what I have been noticing is that the ~/.emacs.d/recentf file has
> had a lot of backups, far more that regular files that I use. My
> understanding is that this happens because recentf currently uses
> write-file (that in turn uses the backup'ing save-buffer) instead of
> directly writing the temporary buffer to the disk.
>
> This patch does just that, replacing write-file with write-region,
> because I argue that an automatically generated file doesn't need
> backups.

Eli was against it, but Richard was for it, and it does seem
inconsistent with how Emacs does it with other files, so I went ahead
and applied it.

Feel free to revert if anybody strenuously disagrees with this. 

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no