Subject: bug#40490: closed (Re: bug#41058: GNOME Maps fails to start in GNOME)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#41058: difficulties opening gnome-maps

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41058: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41058
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41058: GNOME Maps fails to start in GNOME
From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 14:04:29 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix,

I've just pushed a variant of the patch I proposed as
a2d5f9f60d0f440e5d5ce1a1cc81743b27d6cede.  I tested it yesterday in a
VM; it should work.

Regards,
Leo 

Subject: difficulties opening gnome-maps
From: Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 08:38:15 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, I have been using gnome-maps for a few months. It has always been
the case that I can open gnome-maps fine from a terminal. Also, if I
run Alt-F2 gnome-maps, this also works. However, if I press Meta key
(Windows key) and type map, the, the Maps application is selectable,
but if I select it, gnome-maps does not open: I can see evidence that
it is trying to open due to a spinning title bar on the top left, but
it does not open in the end. Likewise, if I try to open a KML file in
Maps through the Icecat or Nautalis interfaces, gnome-maps does not
open, but no error is reported by the system (silent fail). So to open
KML files available on the Internet, I must first save the KML file
somewhere, open gnome-maps from the command line or ALT-F2, and then
open the KML file from gnome-maps file dialog, which is a slower
workflow.
I understand that a .34 gnome update is forthcoming, but was not sure
how soon that will be, and whether or not it will fix this problem. 

-- 
Christopher Howard
Enterprise Solutions Manager
Alaska Satellite Internet
PO Box 70, Ester, AK 99725
3239 La Ree Way, Fairbanks, AK 99709
907.451.0088
1.888.396.5623
www.alaskasatelliteinternet.com