Subject: Re: bug#41043: ffmpeg 'depends' on qtbase

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 14:31:35 -0400

On Sun, May 03, 2020 at 11:41:49AM +0300, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> qtbase seems like a rather heavy dependency for ffmpeg. After looking
> through 'guix graph ffmpeg'
> 
> qtbase -> extra-cmake-modules -> fcitx -> sdl2 -> ffmpeg
> 
> What does sdl2 bring to ffmpeg?
> (on a similar note, what does it bring to u-boot?)
> 'guix size ffmpeg'
> with sdl2:    713.3 MiB
> without sdl2: 699.2 MiB
> 
> https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-devices.html#sdl

According to that page, "This output device allows one to show a video
stream in an SDL window. Only one SDL window is allowed per application,
so you can have only one instance of this output device in an
application."

Personally, I think FFmpeg is useful because it does everything. It's
supposed to be heavy. But maybe the dependency chain could be cut
earlier, if that's important.  Although, I think most systems will
include Qtbase for other reasons.