Subject: bug#41042: closed (Re: bug#41042: Compilation (Comint) is consistently killed when run with default directory /sudo::root)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 07:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#41042: Compilation (Comint) is consistently killed when run with default directory /sudo::root

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41042: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41042
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41042: Compilation (Comint) is consistently killed when run with default directory /sudo::root
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: akater <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 09:02:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

akater <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> Thank you, everything is fine now.

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm closing the bug.

> It looks like not many users of live Emacs builds also use compile over
> tramp feature, as this haven't been reported earlier.  That's
> unexpected.  (I build and install ≈everything this way.)

Well, this happens only for Tramp connections which have a session
timeout (sudo, doas) and for compilations which run longer than the
timeout (300 sec per default). Perhaps this doesn't happen for the
majority of users.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: Compilation (Comint) is consistently killed when run with default directory /sudo::root
From: akater <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 07:48:58 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm using Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-uclibc) of 2020-05-03.

Compilation processes started with #'compile are killed after some time
when default-directory is let-bound to /sudo::/

Example:

emacs -Q

(require 'tramp)
(require 'compile)
(let ((default-directory "/sudo::/")) (compile "sleep 300"))

This started to happen between January 1 and April 30 (most likely
between March 1 and April 15 but I can't be completely sure).  I'm
calling such code regularly; it is used by ebuild-mode package in the
main Gentoo repository.

(compile "sudo ..") works fine.