Subject: [bug#41036] ruby: Update to 2.7.3

From: Ryan Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 19:27:29 +0000

Hi there! I'm Ryan Prior, a rubyist and Guix maintainer. I'm writing you
because I'd like your feedback on my patches to add Ruby 2.7.3 to Guix
and eventually to make that the default version of Ruby. I got your
email address from the Ruby package in Guix master.

You can find my version of the Ruby package here:
https://github.com/ryanprior/guix-packages#ruby

Discussion is in the Guix issue tracker here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/41036

Thank you for contributing to Ruby and Guix, I appreciate your time!

Ludovic Courtès (cc'd) <[email-masked]> writes:

> ‘guix refresh -l [email-masked]’ says there are 4K packages depending on it
> (which I didn’t expect).  So this change should probably go to the next
> ‘core-updates’ according to our guidelines (info "(guix) Submitting
> Patches").

I think it's a high priority to get 2.7 into Guix so people can start
testing it and building off of it, but fine to hold off
making it the default until the next core-update cycle.

> Did you have a chance to test the impact of this change on Ruby
> packages?  Perhaps you should ping other people who last upgraded
> Ruby.

I've tried a few core things like irb and bundler but have yet to
undertake a more serious testing plan.

Thank you for the suggestion Ludo!

Warmly,
Ryan Prior