Subject: Re: bug#41030: [PATCH] Make EWW respect XDG download directory by default

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 15:09:21 +0200

[email-masked] (Philip K.) writes:

>> I think that is ~/Downloads/ exists, it's a good hint that the user
>> wants to use ~/Downloads/, no matter what xdg-user-dir says.
>
> So should it check for "~/Downloads/" first (and maybe perhaps a few
> other popular directory names in other languages), and unless that
> hasn't been found load xdg.el and call xdg-user-dir?

Yes, perhaps something like that.

But we don't want to do that checking at load time, I think?  And the
same goes for the call to xdg-user-dir -- that doesn't be done at load
time, either.

(And the patch isn't correct as is, either, because xdg-user-dir returns
the directory without a trailing slash.)

So perhaps eww-download-directory should default to a function that does
all this checking and calling?

Any opinions?

And... as far as I can see, xdg-user-dir isn't used anywhere else in
Emacs?  What's up with that?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no