Subject: Re: [bug#41013] [PATCH] Add gccmakedep util

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 19:13:42 +0200

Jean-Baptiste Note <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear Guix maintainers,
>
> I'm attempting to package x2go, and gccmakedep from the xorg utils is
> required for the build.
>
> This is therefore an attempt to package it -- so as to be able to use it
> as native-input -- even though it is a deprecated tool.
>
> There are two flavors of the patch:
>
> - a -tar version which relies on a standard xorg mirror for download,
>   and does not need the maintainer tools to build. Unfortunately guix
>   lint reports a problem in that the tarball is not mirrored on software
>   heritage.
>
> - a -git version which is a bit more convoluted to build (requires
>   maintainer tools as native-inputs: autoconf, automake, xorg macros),
>   but with no failure in guix lint.
>
> Please also note that /some/ elements from this xorg subdirectory are
> prefixed with util- -- i've chosen not to include it here.
>
> Please pick your choose, and let me know how to proceed!

Thanks!  I applied the bootstrapped variant, with minor cosmetic changes
to the description and fixed indentation of the source section.

Software Heritage can currently only archive Git repositories, so the
lint warning is arguably misleading.