Subject: bug#41009: Add release date to the title page of Emacs manual (PDF)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 23:38:31 +0200

> If you mean when the FSF produce a published version, only they
 > could add that date, and it would not be known at the time of the
 > associated Emacs release. If you mean when the associated Emacs was
 > released, then I don't see why that date should be added, but it
 > could eg be extracted from etc/HISTORY, with some small trouble.

I thought that it'll be simpler, merely a question of whether to put
it or not to put it.

I'm guessing that release of docs depend on release of Emacs itself,
but because I don't know anything about how you are releasing them, in
it's difficult for me to define "release date".  So, I would have to
know the sequence of the release process to pick a good place in time,
which, in my opinion of course, should be the release date.

I'm guessing that on day N, Emacs is packaged (tar.gz) and uploaded
to: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/

But then, is documentation (Info, PDF, HTML, sources package) also
build on the same day and uploaded to:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html

Or maybe documentation is uploaded few days after?

And then do they (docs) stay the same until next Emacs release, or are
they refreshed (corrected style, some minor errors/typos)?

S. U.