Subject: bug#41006: 26.3; regular expressions documentation

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 11:17:50 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> * Searching and Replacement
>> ** Regular Expression Search   Search for match for a regexp.
>> *** Regexp Syntax::             Syntax of regular expressions.
>> *** Regexp Backslash::          Regular expression constructs starting with ‘\’.
>> *** Regexp Example::            A complex regular expression explained.
>
> Is "Regular Expression Search" just a parent node of its children, or
> does it have content of its own (apart of the menu)?

I can imagine both ways working, but I think my preference would be to
have a brief introduction.

> If the former, we need a subsection about searching with regexps,
> after we describe the regular expressions.

Agreed.

> If the latter, then do you suggest to describe the search before
> describing the regexps themselves?

For the user manual, I actually like that the commands are introduced
early in `(emacs) Regexp Search', which is what users are looking for.
Then we can explain the details of how to use them.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas