Subject: bug#41006: 26.3; regular expressions documentation

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 06:32:01 -0400

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

>   > If I go up one node, to (elisp) Searching and Matching, I can see:
>
>   > * Regular Expressions::   Describing classes of strings.
>   > * Regexp Search::         Searching for a match for a regexp.
>
>   > So I suggest to move "Regexp Search" so that it is a section under
>   > "Regular Expressions" (instead of parallel to it).
>
> It seems to me that the syntax of regular expressions and how to do
> things with regular expressions ought to be two parallel topics.  If
> this needs to be clarified, rather than making one a subnode of the
> other, could we make some OTHER change that would do the job?

I used the word "parallel" only in the sense that you first have to
leave the chapter called "Regular Expressions" to find "Regexp
Search".  I didn't mean to suggest this information should not be
divided into separate sections.

My proposal is to include "how to use them" inside the chapter called
"Regular Expressions".  Is there any reason not to do that?

(FWIW, I believe most other programming languages do it like that.)

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas