Subject: 23.1; Minor bugs in Emacs 23

From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:46:17 -0700

I'm trying sending this again -- it seems the first sent version of this did not appear in emacsbugs.  Since you guys are talking about reorg-ing the menus, I think now would be a good time to consider the menu changes mentioned here. :)

I've checked out the new release of Emacs 23 and found the following bugs (all in Emacs 22) still present:

The following commands still should have the CUA move property set:
c-forward-conditional
c-backward-conditional
c-down-conditional c-up-conditional
c-down-conditional-with-else
c-up-conditional-with-else
c-beginning-of-statement c-end-of-statement

It would be VERY convenient to have a `global-c-subword-mode' function, defined as:
(define-global-minor-mode global-c-subword-mode c-subword-mode
  (lambda () (c-subword-mode 1)))

The Microsoft regexp in `compilation-error-regexp-alist-alistis incorrect; it does not support the "see declaration" messages, it should be:
"^ *\\([0-9]+>\\)?\\(\\(?:[a-zA-Z]:\\)?[^:(\t\n]+\\)(\\([0-9]+\\)) : \\(?:see declaration\\|\\(?:warnin\\(g\\)\\|[a-z ]+\\) C[0-9]+:\\)"

It would be really nice if all the printing related options in the File menu got grouped until a "Print" submenu.

Please change the "Visit New File" entry to a "New File" entry defined as follows:
(define-key menu-bar-file-menu [new-file]
  '(menu-item "New File"
              (lambda ()
                (interactive)
                (switch-to-buffer (generate-new-buffer "*untitled*")))
              :enable (menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p)
              :help "Create a new buffer"))
This corresponds to what just about every other editor on the planet does -- prompt for a filename when the file is first SAVED.

Thank you for making such a great editor!

  -- MJF

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.0.6001
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-balanced-mode: t
  hrule-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  gud-tooltip-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  global-c-subword-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <about-emacs>
<select-window> <select-window> <help-echo> <wheel-down>
<help-echo> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<wheel-down> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<double-drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <wheel-up> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <select-window> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading c:/Users/jfinder/Desktop/.emacs.d/lisp.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/jfinder/Desktop/.emacs.d/lua.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/jfinder/Desktop/.emacs.d/msdev.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/jfinder/Desktop/.emacs.d/text.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/jfinder/Desktop/.emacs.d/xml.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/jfinder/Desktop/.emacs.d/zz.local.el (source)...
Loading vc-svn...done
Starting a new list of tags tables
Loading c:/Users/jfinder/Desktop/.emacs.d/zz.local.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a. [2 times]